Monday, February 16, 2015

Sadly, I have to announce that another one of my heroines from my youth has left us.I have to tell you my heart is breaking tonight. One of the sweetest and happiest voices in music from the early to mid 60's music scene has passed away. Lesley Sue Goldstein was born on May 2, 1946 in Brooklyn, New York. She died today, February 16, 2015 at only 68 years of age.
She was not only a pop-rock music vocalist but she also did TV appearances like the two "Batman" shows she did in 1967 as well as movie appearances.
Her sound was a little more pop than rock. I can remember as a young man hearing "It's my party" for the very first time and falling in love with that happy, sensual female voice coming over the radio. I also remember seeing her on the bus in the movie "Ski Party" singing one of her songs and embedding her sound deep in my heart. Very few people break into the music industry, let alone have gold records. She was a talent that will be remembered for more than just her records. She also had such hits as "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" which was my personal favorite. I don't think I've ever told anyone but I've always kind of thought of that as my theme song.
She was not only a talented young lady but a very beautiful woman as well. She died of lung cancer at the New York University Medical Center in Manhattan. She will always be remembered for the sunshine, lollipops and rainbows she gave us with her lovely voice. God bless you Lesley Gore and may it always be sunshine and lollipops and rainbows for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment